Mentalization-Based Treatment: Basic Training
About this course
Mentalizing refers to our ability to attend to mental states in ourselves and in others as we attempt to understand our own actions and those of others on the basis of intentional mental states. A focus on this very human activity as a therapeutic intervention forms the core of mentalization based treatment (MBT). MBT was initially developed for the treatment of borderline personality disorder (BPD) although it is now being used on a wide range of disorders. Training programmes are now available for MBT for antisocial personality disorder, MBT for families, and MBT for adolescents.
Mentalization Based Treatment is an evidence based psychological therapy for borderline personality disorder (BPD). The training is organised in a stepped system from basic training to practitioner level and then through to supervisor to training levels.
There are currently three components to training in Mentalization Based Treatment (MBT):
- Basic training course,
- Certificate course for practitioner level.
More details can be found here: Mentalization Based Treatment Training Programme
Anthony Bateman and Peter Fonagy lead the MBT training. Additional accredited trainers present and facilitate the training.
Who is this course suitable for?
This workshop is suitable for mental health and other professionals who are interested in the treatment of personality disorder.
Applicants for the basic entry training course must meet the following pre-entry criteria:
- They should be qualified health professionals such as Mental Health Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Clinical/Counselling Psychologists, Psychiatrists and Social Workers, Psychotherapists.
- They will have undertaken a course of study, for example the KUF for personality disorder, and have a good working knowledge of theories underpinning the development of personality. This will cover psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, biological, systemic and social approaches.
- They will have a minimum of 1 years’ experience working therapeutically with people with personality disorder in teams or in individual or group work.
- They will have undertaken supervised practice and be committed to professional standards and practice within an ethical framework.
- It is desirable that they have personal experience of psychotherapy or counselling.
The places are sold online only, we don't take bookings over the phone. You will need to pay by card for this training and we are unable to offer invoice payment option.
Past sales would indicate that they go extremely quickly (within a few minutes) so please bear this in mind.
When the new dates are published booking will be enabled on this page immediately and an e-mail will be sent with a notification that booking is open. Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you don’t manage to secure a place please add yourself to the waiting list.