Trauma-Focussed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (TF-CBT) for Children and Young People with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
16th October 2017 – 17th October 2017
- Anna Freud National Centre for Children & Families Map
- 2 days
- 10:00 - 16:30
Training Fee - UCL/AFC current students & alumni or UKPTS / ESTSS Member
About this course
Trauma-Focussed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (TF-CBT) is the only intervention recommended by NICE guidelines for Children and Young People with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) The cognitive model of PTSD in children and young people (Meiser-Stedman, 2002) will be presented and explained. This model will be used to consider:
- How children and families react to traumatic events,
- Risk factors for PTSD and
- How TF-CBT and related interventions decrease distress and increase functioning.
Based on the notion of “processing”, ways in which a healing environment can be created around the child will be discussed, so that processing of the event is more likely to occur spontaneously. Direct TF-CBT interventions with the young person, with the family and with the school will be described and some time will be given to considering the difficulties associated with the fact that the intervention involves doing something that the client wishes to avoid. The evidence for TF-CBT and other interventions will be presented. The workshop will use a variety of training methods including interactive presentation of theory with case illustrations (with clients’ consent) and small group discussion.
Who is this course suitable for?
Practitioners who have a therapeutic role with children and young people who have experienced traumatic events.
Please note: The course will include discussion about cases of traumatised children, which some may find upsetting.
Aims of the course?
By the end of this workshop, the participants should:
- Be familiar with and understand the cognitive model of PTSD,
- Be aware of how children and young people commonly react to traumatic events, (including PTSD) and how the cognitive model can account for these reactions,
- Have some understanding of how developmental and systemic factors impact on such a model,
- Understand how to intervene effectively using TF-CBT, taking into account developmental and systemic issues,
- Be familiar with the evidence supporting TF-CBT for children and young people with PTSD.
Accreditation This workshop has been approved by the European Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ESTSS) with 20 certification points.
If you are interested in commissioning this workshop locally, please email email@example.com