Dr Sheila Redfern
Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families
Dr Sheila Redfern PhD is a Consultant Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychologist and Head of Clinical Services: Specialist Trauma and Maltreatment (STAMS) at the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families.
Sheila qualified in 1994 in a Masters in Clinical Psychology from University College London. Since then, Sheila has also completed a doctorate (PhD) from the Institute of Psychiatry in 2011, investigating the inter-relationship between attachment security, peer popularity and theory of mind in children. Sheila worked for 20 years as an NHS consultant clinical psychologist in CAMHS teams across SLAM and South West London and St. George’s NHS Mental Health Trusts. In SLAM she was a senior lecturer and clinical psychologist in the department of psychology at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Medical School. Sheila established a service which she ran for three years for adolescents with emergent borderline personality disorder and self-harm, using a Mentalization Based Treatment Programme (MBT-A).
Sheila is an accredited practitioner in Video Interaction Guidance (VIG) – an intervention aimed at improving the attunement between parent and is also an accredited MBT-A supervisor. She is project lead on the Reflective Fostering Programme; a collaboration between AFNCCF and NSPCC. Sheila is co-author with Ali Cooper of Reflective Parenting: A Guide To Understanding What’s going on in your child’s mind published by Routledge. Reflective Parenting is a new programme of mentalization based interventions for parents and carers currently being tested out at AFNCCF.
Courses this tutor is involved in
- Building Resilience and Repairing Neglect - working with the forgotten 'children' aged 10-15
- Child Maltreatment: New Frontiers in Research and Practice
- Childhood Adversity and Trauma: Advancing Research and Practice
- ITSIEY Module 5: Mentalizing in Practice; Working with Parents and Babies
- Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT) for Fostering & Adoption: Reflective fostering
- Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT): Fostering in Cork (Ireland)
- Mentalization-Based Treatment for Parents: Reflective Parenting