ITSIEY Specialist: Reflective Supervision in Infant Mental Health (0 - 24 months): Holding the supervisee, child and family in mind
22nd November 2017 – 24th November 2017
0.5 day follow up will take place on 22nd March 2018
- Anna Freud National Centre for Children & Families Map
- 2.5 consecutive days and 0.5 day follow up (plus 6 monthly supervisions for non-IAPT attendees)
- 09:15 - 16:30
Course fee for CYP IAPT applicants (bursary available, please see below)
Course fee for non-CYP IAPT applicants (post-training supervision included)
About this course
This exciting new training is designed for practitioners working in Infant Mental Health who wish to take on a supervisory role. Infant Mental Health (or 0-5s) is a unique area of practice where clinicians simultaneously address the needs of the infant and wider family, whilst holding the needs of the infant in the centre of their practice. It is also well documented that it is an area of work that can be particularly emotionally taxing because of the vulnerability of the baby and the rawness of emotions in the perinatal period. Supervision of this area of practice therefore requires an additional skill set to enable supervisors to support supervisees to develop complex formulation and treatment plans, as well as to reflect on supervisees own experiences and emotional resonances. Through seminars and discussion groups supervisors in training will have the opportunity to reflect on and develop their supervisory practice. Participants will be allocated to workshops according to levels of knowledge/experience.
Aims of the course?
- To develop a pathway for experienced IMH practitioners to move into supervision roles
- To equip IMH supervisors with knowledge and skills particular to Reflective Supervision in IMH
- To embed the knowledge and skills in their practice as supervisors
Who is this training suitable for?
This course is suitable for allied mental health professionals working in the field of infant mental health who meet the following requirements:
- A core professional training for work with infants (aged 0-5)
- 2 years’ intensive practice experience working in Early Years (0-5s, with at least some experience with 0-2s)
- Experience of multi-agency working with babies/young children, including knowledge and awareness of safeguarding practice
- Experience of consulting and/or supervising to other staff
- Ability to present training cases within the workshops
If you have any specific questions about the suitability of the module for your practice, please email email@example.com
CYP IAPT Supervisors
ITSIEY is partnering with CYP IAPT to develop supervisory capacity for 0-5s. This is in collaboration with the CYP IAPT 0-5s module and with the aim of services increasing their work with 0-5s. If your service can commit to taking a CYP IAPT 0-5s trainee from 2018 CYP IAPT will pay the fees for this course.
This course can be a standalone course for more experienced supervisors wishing to develop their 0-5s specific supervision practice. For new supervisors we require them to also undertake the CYP IAPT 0-5s supervisor module which begins in 2018 and has work discussion groups throughout the year. Please indicate your chosen pathway in your application form and evidence your supervision experience if you would like to undertake this as a standalone course.
For further information about the CYP IAPT 0-5s practitioner programme please click here
Non-CYP IAPT attendees
Non-IAPT attendees will be required to attend 6 x 1.5-hour supervision sessions (16:00 - 17:30) as part of the training on the following dates:
- 31st Jan 2018
- 28th Feb 2018
- 28th March 2018
- 25th April 2018
- 27th June 2018
- 25th July 2018
How to apply?
About International Training School for Infancy and Early Years (ITSIEY)
Delivered by a unique collaboration of internationally acclaimed Centres of Excellence (Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families, the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust and Yale University Child Study Centre), the International Training School for Infancy and Early Years (ITSIEY) provides mental health professionals with expert-agreed standards of knowledge and skills to work confidently with infants (0-3) and their families. This exclusive training encompasses a range of theories “seamlessly interwoven into a shared conceptual framework” (student). The ecological model that is at the heart of its vision and curriculum uses most up to date knowledge of advances in neuroscience combined with strong clinical and research experience relevant to collaborative work with families. ITSIEY builds a forum for international cross pollination of knowledge, skills and research in the field of infancy and early years mental health for practitioners.
Currently ITSIEY offers the following modules:
- ITSIEY: An introduction to perinatal and infant mental health
- ITSIEY: Assessing and Formulating Risk and Resilience in Perinatal and Infant Mental Health
- ITSIEY: Mentalizing in Practice; Working with Parents and Babies
- ITSIEY Specialist module: Parental Mental Illness
- ITSIEY Specialist: Reflective Supervision in Infant Mental Health: Holding the supervisee, child and family in mind
a 5% discount is available for students who book on more than one ITSIEY module at the same time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to claim this offer.