Working with NHS services

What kind of NHS services are there?

There are two kinds of NHS services for children and young people. 

The first would be classed as a community services which is called CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) or CYP (Children and Young People) Mental Health Services.  These services are NHS services that assess and treat young people with emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties. 

The second type of services are called inpatient units, or Tier 4 units, and these are for young people with more serious difficulties than can be worked with in the community.  A young person attending an inpatient unit will be required to stay overnight and, perhaps, for a period of time.

More infoInpatient Care

What makes a good service?

What makes a good service might be different to different people.  Often, young people may have heard good things about a particular services from their friends, relatives or a trusted adult professional, such as a teacher or a GP. 

A young person may also want to consider the following things when looking at whether a service is a good service:

  • Do they have a good website with lots of information about the service?
  • Do they have other materials which can provide you with information to inform and support you?
  • Do they use words like ‘collaborative’ which demonstrate how they work with a young person?
  • Do their materials and website reflect the voices of other young people who have used the service?
  • Do they offer a range of treatments or interventions that a young person can access?
  • Do they have a clear process to allow you to feedback on the treatment you receive including a complaints process?

Anyone accessing support from a service should also feel able to ask questions about any of the above or regarding any concerns the young person may have about working with a service.  You might want to ask these questions at your initial meeting or at any stage during your treatment.  Sometimes, writing down your questions will help you to remember to ask anything that you would like to discuss.

What is the process for accessing a service?

Accessing a service will happen through a referral process. 

Some services allow for a young person, or their parents or carers, to make a self-referral, either by telephoning or emailing the service or by enquiring at the service direct.

If a service does not offer a self-referral process, the referral would have to be made by a professional, such as a social worker, teacher or GP, who the young person may have to talk to, to explain their difficulties, and then ask them to make the referral on their behalf.

More infoUnderstanding referrals

How long will it take to be seen?

Accessing support from CAMHS can differ depending on where you live within the UK and the waiting list to be seen for that area.  There is usually a short wait to be seen for an initial assessment but then you may have to wait weeks or months to actually start receiving support. 

Once a referral has been made to a service, we would recommend that you contact them to ask how long the wait might be. 

If help is not immediately available, you might want to look at your support network to ensure that you’ve people that you can talk to who are aware that you are experiencing difficulties. 

You can also look at self-care options to help you try to manage your difficulties whilst you wait to be seen.  And if your situation changes or deteriorates, then you should go back to the service to let them know what has changed as this may change the amount of time you have to wait to be seen.

More infoUnderstanding referrals

Who might I work with?

Who you work with within a service will be dependent on the type of difficulty that you’re experiencing.  A professional trained in CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, might be more helpful to someone suffering from anxiety than a professional trained in another type of intervention.  A service will talk with a young person to try to understand the difficulties they’re having and then assess what the best treatment might be to help them.  The most important thing is that a young person feels that they have some choice in who they work with and the treatment they receive, and this may include the age and gender of the person you work with.

More infoAbout diagnosis

More infoMy therapist

More infoAbout therapy

How much say should you have in your treatment?

It’s important that any young person accessing support through CAMHS feels that their voice is heard in the treatment they receive.  You should be working collaboratively with a therapist to help them, and you, find a way through the difficulties that you’re experiencing.  This includes being able to trust your therapist enough to be honest and open with them and to feel that your feelings are being heard and respected.

More info My therapist

More info About therapy

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We’d also like to set optional analytics to help us improve it. We won’t set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We’d like to set non-essential cookies, such as Google Analytics, to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our Cookies page. If you are 16 or under, please ask a parent or carer for consent before accepting.