About this training
Developed to meet the recommendations of the Timpson Review of School Exclusion, this training supports staff in developing partnerships with parent and carers.
The course is suitable for senior staff from a mainstream Primary, Secondary or FE setting, including those who would like to further develop their engagement policy in school, or who have an extended role relating to family support, inclusion and behaviour management. This course is designed to support school staff to improve parent/carer engagement within an educational setting. You will find guides to good practice that will help develop effective partnerships with parents/carers to engage with their child’s learning and wellbeing within the school community.
Our training, based on a model of family intervention with a 30-year track record, has been developed and codified at The Pears Family School over the last 6 years and trialled in local Alternative Provisions and mainstream schools. We have now secured funding to offer the training to mainstream schools nationally.
Key learning outcomes
The training aims to support inclusion and reintegration by:
- Increasing the capacity of mainstream to deal with complex need
- Providing a means by which school staff can create a systemic formulation for children at risk of exclusion
- Creating a structure to communicate formulation-driven targets to TA and teachers
- Stimulating positive and functional engagement with parents/carers and other family members
- Providing a range of contexts to create change in parent and carer engagement and understanding of their child’s difficulties
- Giving schools the opportunity to reflect on the complex web of professional provision and resources around mental health and inclusion and hone a coherent approach
- Bridging the gap between the language used by education professionals and mental health professionals to describe their practice with children
- Developing consistency of approach between communities of schools.
Book on to the training
Please note that spaces are only available for senior staff from mainstream schools and funding is capped at 2 delegates per school attending. This training is free of charge, with the commitment to provide data about your setting regarding exclusions, attendance and current practice in engaging parents and carers.
Book on to the training in parent and carer engagement now.
This training and consultation work was of the highest quality. The knowledge and expertise was tailored so well to the needs of our academy trust. The training was delivered in a relaxed and bespoke way. It has resulted in helping to change mindsets that in turn has had far reaching impact.Daniel Thrower CEO , The Wensum Educational Trust, Norwich