Mentalization-Based Treatment for Children (MBT-C): a time limited approach, London
About this course
This training will provide an introduction to Mentalization Based Treatment for Children (MBT-C), a time-limited approach to working with children aged 5-12, with a range of clinical presentations.
The course will cover an introduction to the concept of mentalizing, and its use in clinical work with children in middle childhood (5-12) and their parents.
The course will provide an overview of the development of mentalizing in middle childhood, and how it can be assessed; an introduction to a time-limited model of MB T-C; and will give opportunities to practice specific skills for working with children from a mentalizing perspective, as well as the parallel work with parents.
The training will be based on the following text:
- Midgley, N., Ensink, K., Lindqvist, K., Malberg, N. and Muller, N. (2017). Mentalization-Based Treatment for Children: A Time-Limited Approach. American Psychological Association.
Who is this training suitable for?
Counsellors and therapists working with children and families.
This course will assume a working knowledge of the concept of mentalization. For those who have not previously completed an MBT training it is a requirement of this training must complete the "Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatments with Children, Young People and Families (MBT CYP) – An Introduction" before the training start date. You will be given access to this training one month before the training start date. Please note access to the training will be granted once full payment is received. The self-directed online An Introduction to Mentalization-Based Treatment for Children, Young People and Families training consists of a series of short videos that span four hours and cover the theory of mentalization and its relevance to work with children and young people, and so it is essential that you watch these prior to the training. If you do not complete these, you will not have the theoretical knowledge to get the most out of the training you are scheduled to attend. The content of the training will not be covered in the in-person training. If, for any reason, you require access to the training sooner than one month prior to the training start date, please let us know and we will be able to grant you access. Please note that training places must be paid for in order to be granted access to the training.
Aims of the training
- To gain an understanding of the development of mentalizing in middle childhood and an understanding of its role in a range of typical presenting problems in CAMHS
- To learn about the key features of time-limited MBT for children.
- To learn about assessment of the capacity for mentalizing in children
- To develop practical skills in working with children and their parents from a mentalizing perspective.