A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 1 of 5: Why is help often not experienced as helpful?
30th September 2020
- Online (joining instructions will be shared with registrants close to the event)
- 90 minutes
- 18:00 - 19:30
About this course
A webinar series (five in total – which can be attended as a block or as individual events , for people from a range of professional backgrounds, or none, who are interested in the challenge of working with people whose needs are multiple, whose help-seeking is unconventional, who are often excluded, marginalised, stigmatised and who present with risk and attract complex multi-agency networks of care that often, in spite of best intentions, struggle to create and deliver coherent, containing, effective help.
This opening seminar will address the nature of the difficulties experienced by people who present with multiple needs, and the experience of workers who are often part of large multi-agency multi-professional networks that – collectively - can often struggle to deliver an experience of help that is understandable, coherent, and coordinated around a shared perception of what the client actually experiences as helpful. The framework for understanding this is from AMBIT, and explanation of the core element of this approach, “Mentalization”, will be included – emphasising the fact that it is BOTH the mentalizing capacity of clients AND that of their workers that is under strain in this work. The seminar will include a talk with illustrations and then a Q & A session. By the end of the seminar, the challenge of working to deliver “help that seems helpful” will be clearer, and the major areas that subsequent seminars will cover will be signposted.
Who is this course suitable for?
Anyone working with clients who present with multiple needs. No previous special expertise in mentalization or AMBIT is assumed.
- To understand the experience and predicament of clients presenting with multiple needs
- To understand the basics of “Mentalization” and the strain that circumstances inevitably place on this mental capacity – both for clients and for workers
- To understand how mentalizing is placed under particular strain for everyone involved in this area of work and experience
- To understand why developing a specific focus on mentalizing with (i) clients, (ii) team-mates (iii) across wider professional and informal networks, and (iv) in relation to team learning and adaptation (the fundamentals of AMBIT) makes sense.
System requirements for online training
The online platform Zoom will be used to deliver this training. Prior to booking on, please ensure you meet the system requirements so you're able to join this training.
Before the training, please test your equipment is working by going to Zoom.us/test and follow the instructions.
Events quick search
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 2 of 5: Working in encounters face to face (remote or not)
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 3 of 5: Creating a team that can hold me steady and help me cope
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 4 of 5: Organising work in complex formal and informal networks
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 5 of 5: Adapting our work so that it works