A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 4 of 5: Organising work in complex formal and informal networks
16th December 2020
- Online (joining instructions will be shared with registrants close to the event)
- 90 minutes
- 18:00 - 19:30
About this course
A webinar series (five in total – which can be attended as a block or as individual events , for people from a range of professional backgrounds, or none, who are interested in the challenge of working with people whose needs are multiple, whose help-seeking is unconventional, who are often excluded, marginalised, stigmatised and who present with risk and attract complex multi-agency networks of care that often, in spite of best intentions, struggle to create and deliver coherent, containing, effective help.
This fourth seminar will cover the inevitable struggles to provide coherence, understandability, pacing and sequencing in what is offered by the larger (“whole-systems”) network of formal and informal help that is often (nearly always) involved in working with clients who have multiple needs. Different agencies and professionals may have very different ideas about explanations for the difficulties, and may use very different language to express them, they may have different priorities and suggestions for interventions, and about who has responsibility for doing what. Large networks often find it hard to meet together, and do not work in a single management structure, so it is very easy for misunderstandings to arise between different workers, despite their shared intentions to be helpful. Simple mentalization based tools to help address this “dis-integration” will be shared, including the “dis-integration grid”.
Who is this course suitable for?
Anyone working with clients who present with multiple needs. No previous special expertise in mentalization or AMBIT is assumed.
- To understand the nature and inevitability of “dis-integration” between different helpers in large multiagency networks
- To understand the harms that this can cause if not addressed
- To understand the notion of a “Team around the Worker” as it can be addressed to the wider network, and how this can support a “client-centred” perspective on networks, that privileges trust between worker and client where this is recognised.
- To learn about some simple “field tools” to help mentalize across networks (the “Dis-integration grid” from AMBIT).
Events quick search
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 1 of 5: Why is help often not experienced as helpful?
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 2 of 5: Working in encounters face to face (remote or not)
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 3 of 5: Creating a team that can hold me steady and help me cope
- A Mentalizing Team Around the Worker - Webinar 5 of 5: Adapting our work so that it works