About this course
We are currently refining the structure of this training in an online format and so the times and dates may change slightly. Participants will be notified of any changes with sufficient notice.
CBT is a treatment that is recommended by NICE guidelines for a number of psychological and emotional difficulties in children and young people.
However, it is also an active therapy that requires a fairly high level of ongoing engagement on the part of children, young people and families.
There are a number of reasons why children, young people and families may be (or become) ambivalent about engaging in CBT; and this can lead to difficulties at all stages of treatment.
Motivational Interviewing (MI) ideas have been applied very successfully across a range of presenting difficulties and with populations who at times find it difficult to engage with help. This course will provide an overview of MI theory and techniques, particularly highlighting and teaching skills in those techniques that might help a CBT therapist engage a young person in different stages of therapy.
- The training will cover
- Areas where motivation can cause problems in CBT
- Introduction to the theory behind motivational interviewing
- Thinking about which MI techniques that will be particularly helpful to a CBT therapist
- Teaching of particularly relevant MI techniques
- Consideration of how best to build MI ideas into CBT practice to enhance the latter
- Who is this course suitable for?
This course assumes a basic level of knowledge of CBT. It is suitable for professionals working with CYP in a variety of settings, who use CBT in their work.
- Aims of the course?
- To consider when issues of motivation can cause problems in CBT
- To provide an overview of Motivational Interviewing theory and techniques
- To consider and provide teaching on certain MI techniques that will be particularly helpful to a CBT therapist
- To consider how best to build MI ideas into CBT practice to enhance the latter.
If you are interested in commissioning this training and hosting it locally to you, please email email@example.com for more information.
30th April 2021
- Online (joining instructions will be shared with registrants close to the event)
- One day
- 10:00 - 16:30 (UK time)
UCL and AFC Alumni
To hear about any new dates scheduled for this training, please subscribe to our mailing list
This is one of the best training courses I have been on, the perfect mix of gaining new information, trying out new skills and thinking about application of this learning to practice. I didn't get chance to say thank you to the trainers but would really like to say thank you for such a brilliant day.