About this course
Mentalizing – attending to mental states in oneself and others in order to understand intention and behaviour – has been described as “the most fundamental common factor among psychotherapeutic techniques”.
Listen to 'Interpreting the Dodo Bird' podcast by Professor Peter Fonagy here.
This workshop is aimed at IPT practitioners and supervisors with an interest in exploring and consolidating their use of Mentalization techniques in IPT and therapists using Mentalization based treatment who would like to know more about IPT. We aim to learn from each other! Knowledge of Mentalization or IPT techniques is not assumed and a concise introduction to the key ideas underpinning Mentalization and their relevance for IPT practice will be covered. This workshop will employ a combination of didactic teaching, discussion of clinical illustrations, demonstrations as well as participant and tutor led role-plays.
Please note, Peter Fonagy teaches, on average for half-day on this training course rather than the full duration of the training. At times, due to unforeseen circumstances his teaching time is reduced. The training is led by other experienced trainers. Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families reserves the right to change speakers without notice.
- Who is this course suitable for?
This course is suitable for: IPT practitioners and supervisors, and therapists and supervisors in Mentalization-Based Treatments.
- Aims of the course
- Explain and develop skills in the practical applications of mentalization based therapy techniques in the IPT framework;
- Recognize breaks in mentalization in therapists and clients;
- Implement techniques for restoring mentalization in patients following practice in role plays.
- System requirements for online training
The online platform Zoo will be used to deliver this training. Prior to booking on, please ensure you meet the system requirements so you're able to join this training.
Before the training, please test your equipment is working by going to Zoom.us/test and follow the instructions.
25th November 2022
- Online – live via Zoom (Joining instructions will be sent to the email address you booked on with at least one working day before the event)
- 1 day
To hear about any new dates scheduled for this training, please subscribe to our mailing list