About this course
The Anna Freud Centre is offering this course to professionals who are interested in psychoanalytic ideas, and how these may apply to their clinical work with infants, children and adults.
The course will be divided into 2 sections. The first, will provide a developmental view on mental functioning and behaviour, and the second will focus on the clinical process. The final seminar will look at the interface between psychoanalysis and attachment.
(If you have disabled non-essential cookies on this website, you may not be able to view the above video on this page but can still view it here)
- The course will cover
- Seminar 1: Psychoanalysis and the internal world, Phillip McGill
- Seminar 2: Psychoanalysis and the internal world continued, Philip McGill
- Seminar 3: A developmental view of deficit and conflict, Inge Pretorius
- Seminar 4: Sexuality and aggression, Angela Joyce
- Seminar 5: Affects and defences, Angela Joyce
- Seminar 6: The analytic setting, Anna Streeruwitz
- Seminar 7: The relation of the patient to the analyst, Anat Gedulter-Treiman
- Seminar 8: The analyst’s experience of the patient, Anat Gedulter-Treiman
- Seminar 9: Clinical process - interpretation, working through, containment resistance, Carol Broughton
- Seminar 10: Interface of psychoanalysis and attachment, Inge Pretorius
- Aims of the course
- To familiarise participants with core analytic concepts relevant to their practice
- To provide an analytic framework for understanding development, mental functioning and behaviour
- To extend understanding of interpersonal processes between therapist and patient
- Who is this course suitable for?
Therapists, psychologists and professional practitioners working with infants, children and adults who are interested in incorporating psychoanalytic ideas about development into their theoretical framework and practice.
You will be required to read a set of book chapters/articles before each seminar. Reading will be provided to you approximately 6 weeks before each seminar.
- Special offer
We have two reduced-fee places (£371.87) available for Learning Network members. If you are a member of the network and would like to claim a place please e-mail email@example.com
The Anna Freud Centre brings together those with a stake in the mental health of children and young people. Please subscribe to our mailing list to receive a bi-monthly e-newsletter and occasional updates about the Centre's training and events.
The course was extremely useful in providing me with a basic yet comprehensive understanding of psychoanalytic theories, the context in which they originated and the clinicians and theoreticians involved and how they apply to clinical work across the life span. The diverse range of high-calibre speakers offered a broad spectrum of knowledge and clinical expertise covering work with individuals across the life cycle. I left with a richer, broader and more in-depth understanding of psychoanalytic theory which was very useful for the parent-infant psychoanalytic psychotherapy training I went on to undertake with the Anna Freud Centre.Participant, 2019
I had read and drawn upon a great deal of psychoanalytic theory prior to undertaking this course. So although interested, I was somewhat sceptical about what it might offer. However this series of carefully constructed lectures provided by a brilliant and diverse set of clinicians and academics provided a rich seam of rich insights into historic and contemporary psychoanalytic theory, some of it hidden or obscured by dominant narratives within the field of psychoanalysis. All lectures were immediately relevant to clinical practice both at the time, and will remain salient always.Participant, 2019