Mentalization-Based Treatment: Certificate course - practitioner level in Los Angeles
About this course
The workshop is suitable for mental health and other professionals who are interested in the treatment of personality disorder and have already completed the basic training course. Participants are expected to have been using mentalizing skills in their everyday practice and when possible to have participated in supervision.
This two-day workshop will expand on previous knowledge and embed the basic skills of mentalization based treatment (MBT).
Participants learn how to use the MBT adherence scale for individual therapy and hone their MBT skills through clinical demonstration, video ratings, and role plays.
Using video, participants demonstrate their use of basic interventions within a standardised scenario with an actor. This may be used towards recognition of competence and access to supervision to become a supervisor.
12.5 CE hours available through this event are sponsored by Lifespan Learning Institute.*
Aims of course
To help participants embed and develop further their skills to treat patients with personality disorder using MBT, introduce the adherence scale for rating treatment sessions, and to introduce skills required to become a supervisor.
By the end of this conference, participants will to able to:
- Employ the use of ostensive cues in developing a therapeutic alliance
- Value the role of establishing epistemic trust in restoring mentalizing
- Use the adherence scale to rate their own and their colleagues’ adherence to the MBT model
- Appraise their strengths and weaknesses in application of the MBT model
- Differentiate the mentalizing of borderline vs. narcissistic vs. antisocial personality disorders
- Construct a mentalizing treatment plan for those with personality disorders
- Formulate a diagnostic assessment from a mentalizing perspective
- Rate their ability to recognize non-mentalizing
- Assess and enhance their developing practice of MBT techniques
CME: The Lifespan Learning Institute is accredited by the California Medical Association (CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The credits on this course cover psychology, social work, psychiatry, and marriage family therapy.
This course is jointly sponsored by Lifespan Learning Institute and The Mentalizing Initiative, which are responsible for the content.
The Lifespan Learning Institute designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 12.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
According to the California Board of Registered Nursing, Continuing Medical Education is acceptable for meeting RN continuing education requirements, as long as the course is Category 1, and has been taken within the appropriate time frames.
No relevant financial relationships were disclosed by the authors or the planners.
This activity is offered by an accredited CMA-CME provider and is not commercially supported.
* Lifespan Learning Institute, tel. 310-474-2505, 1023 Westholme Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024
See booking terms and conditions here
See complaints procedure here
The UCLA Faculty Center is ADA compliant. For more information, please visit https://facultycenter.ucla.edu/