Trauma-Focussed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (TF-CBT) for Children and Young People with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in Istanbul, Turkey
30th October 2018 – 31st October 2018
£545/€615 Including VAT. Registration Closing Date: September 3, 2018. Details of how to register can be found below.
- YDY Education Research Consulting, Istanbul Map
- 2 days
- 10:00 - 18:00
About this course
Trauma-Focussed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (TF-CBT) is the only intervention recommended by NICE guidelines for Children and Young People with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) The cognitive model of PTSD in children and young people (Meiser-Stedman, 2002) will be presented and explained. This model will be used to consider:
- How children and families react to traumatic events,
- Risk factors for PTSD and
- How TF-CBT and related interventions decrease distress and increase functioning.
Based on the notion of “processing”, ways in which a healing environment can be created around the child will be discussed, so that processing of the event is more likely to occur spontaneously. Direct TF-CBT interventions with the young person, with the family and with the school will be described and some time will be given to considering the difficulties associated with the fact that the intervention involves doing something that the client wishes to avoid. The evidence for TF-CBT and other interventions will be presented. The workshop will use a variety of training methods including interactive presentation of theory with case illustrations (with clients’ consent) and small group discussion.
Who is this course suitable for?
Practitioners who have a therapeutic role with children and young people who have experienced traumatic events.
Please note: The course will include discussion about cases of traumatised children, which some may find upsetting.
Aims of the course?
By the end of this workshop, the participants should:
- Be familiar with and understand the cognitive model of PTSD,
- Be aware of how children and young people commonly react to traumatic events, (including PTSD) and how the cognitive model can account for these reactions,
- Have some understanding of how developmental and systemic factors impact on such a model,
- Understand how to intervene effectively using TF-CBT, taking into account developmental and systemic issues,
- Be familiar with the evidence supporting TF-CBT for children and young people with PTSD.
For all participants, this course is intended to increase their understanding of how traumatic events affect children and young people. It is expected that even those with no previous knowledge or experience of CBT will develop an improved understanding of trauma which should influence their practice. This two day workshop does not on its own equip a practitioner to offer Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Children and Young People with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Those suitably trained in CBT and who continue to receive suitable supervision should feel competent to provide CBT specifically for children and young people with PTSD.
How to register
Capacity for this training is 30.
Bookings and payments are taken directly by YDY Education Research Consulting. Please fill their pre-registration form through the link below: https://goo.gl/forms/4QLYkHBB8m0PWBI13