Dr Sheila Redfern
Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families
Dr Sheila Redfern PhD is a Consultant Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychologist and Head of Service: Specialist Trauma and Maltreatment at the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families.
Sheila qualified in 1994 in a Masters in Clinical Psychology from University College London. Since then, Sheila has also completed a doctorate (PhD) from the Institute of Psychiatry in 2011, investigating the inter-relationship between attachment security, peer popularity and theory of mind in children. Prior to working at Anna Freud, Sheila worked for 20 years as an NHS consultant clinical psychologist in CAMHS teams across SLAM and South West London and St. George’s NHS Mental Health Trusts. Sheila was also a senior lecturer in psychology for 10 years at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Medical School. Sheila established a service which she ran for three years for adolescents with emergent borderline personality disorder and self-harm, using a Mentalization Based Treatment Programme. At Anna Freud Sheila works clinically with LAC, foster carers and adoptive parents and parents and adolescents, mostly using mentalization based treatments. She co created the Reflective Fostering Programme for foster carers. Sheila is an accredited Video Interaction Guidance (VIG) practitioner.
Sheila is the author of Reflective Parenting: A Guide To Understanding What’s going on in your child’s mind published by Routledge.
Courses this tutor is involved in
- Assessment of Children and Families in Care Proceedings: an Anna Freud Centre approach
- Building Resilience and Repairing Neglect - working with the forgotten 'children' aged 10-15
- Childhood Adversity and Trauma: Advancing Research and Practice
- Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT) for Fostering & Adoption: Reflective fostering
- Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT): Fostering in Cork (Ireland)
- Mentalization-Based Treatment for Parents: Reflective Parenting
- Schools in Mind: Supporting Mental Health and Wellbeing in Schools - Engaging with all Parents and Carers (Leeds)