About this course
MBT has been adapted for the treatment of people with antisocial personality disorder (MBT-ASPD). This course will outline how mentalizing can contribute to the understanding of ASPD and how mentalization based treatment can be used to treat people with ASPD in health care and criminal justice systems.
This on-line training follows a 2+1 format. There are two initial introductory days followed by ‘homework and practice’ in the workplace. This is followed by a further training day. All participants are expected to attend all days and to have completed their work practice.
Participants are expected to be treating a patient or patients in their practice, individually or in group, who shows antisocial and/or narcissistic functioning.
Participants are expected to have read Bateman, A. and Fonagy, P. (2016) Mentalization Based Treatment for Personality Disorder: A practical guide. Chapter 13 Antisocial Personality Disorder. OUP:Oxford.
- Bateman A, Fonagy P. (2008) Comorbid antisocial and borderline personality disorders: mentalization based treatment. Journal of Clinical Psychology: in session.64:1-14.
- Bateman A, Bolton R, Fonagy P. (2013) Antisocial Personality Disorder: a mentalizing framework. Focus: Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry. XI:1-9.
The training will cover:
- Understanding of violence
- Outline of a developmental and mentalizing perspective of ASPD
- Mentalization based formulation of ASPD
- Clinical skills for individual and group MBT as applied to people with ASPD
The teaching will use didactic teaching, role plays, video, and discussion.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Articulate ASPD as a disorder of mentalizing
- Discuss the developmental understanding of mentalizing, antisocial behaviour and violence
- Formulate clinically clients with antisocial personality disorder
- Deliver some basic mentalizing interventions for people with ASPD
- Who is this course suitable for
This workshop is suitable for mental health and other professionals who are interested in the treatment of personality disorder.
Applicants for the basic entry training course must meet the following pre-entry criteria:
- Have completed the basic training course in MBT
- Be engaged in MBT treatment for people with personality disorder.
- Be undertaking supervised practice when treating people with personality disorder.
- Have some understanding of criminal justice systems.
- Aim to treat people with antisocial personality disorder.
- Booking process
The places are sold online only, we don't take bookings over the phone.
When booking is enabled on this page we will send an e-mail to those on our mailing list with a notification that booking is open. Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- System requirements for online training
The online platform Zoom will be used to deliver this training. Prior to booking on, please ensure you meet the system requirements so you're able to join this training.
Before the training, please test your equipment is working by going to Zoom.us/test and follow the instructions.
The self-directed learning is hosted on Blackboard. Please review if your browser supports this system prior to booking on.
10th July 2023 - 17th July 2023
- Online – live and self-directed learning (Joining instructions will be sent to the email address you booked on with at least one working day before the event)
- The live day sessions will run on 10th, 11th and 17th July 2023
- 3 days live training and 9 hours self-guided content - online course
- 10:00 - 16:00
The Anna Freud Centre brings together those with a stake in the mental health of children and young people. Please subscribe to our mailing list to receive a bi-monthly e-newsletter and occasional updates about the Centre's training and events.
Mentalization-Based Treatment for Adolescents (MBT-A)
Mentalization-Based Treatment for Families (MBT-F)
- 6 half days
Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatment with Adults (MBT Adult): An Introduction
- Online Training Programme - 4 hours learning content
Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatments with Children, Young People and Families (MBT CYP) – An Introduction
- Online Training Programme - 6 hours learning content
Mentalization-Based Treatment: Basic Training
- 1 month programme (3 days live training and 21 hours self-guided content - online course)
Participant, March 2019
Excellent course - Dr Bateman is an outstanding communicator and managed very well to engage the audience in the activities.
Participant, March 2019
Professor Bateman is extremely charismatic and a fantastic course presenter which really holds you attention and makes the subject matter really interesting. He makes it look easy, which of course it isn't. I have learnt quite a lot and will practice, and try to develop, my MBT techniques and skills.
Participant, July 2017
Both facilitators did an excellent job! The course was delivered in a detailed, clear and understandable way with little jargon. The facilitators seem to work with patients in a very 'human' and authentic way, which is refreshing to see. They also have a great sense of humour, which resulted in a lively presentation. I will recommend this workshop.