Honorary Associate Professor, UCL, Faculty of Brain Science
Joint Programme Director ‘Leading Change and Transformation: Children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing services’. AFNCCF
Board Director of the Child Outcomes Research Consortium (CORC)
Director of MindMonkey Associates
Consultant Clinical Psychologist with Changing Minds
- Teaching Experience
Duncan has extensive experience in teaching, lecturing and workshops facilitation. He has developed and taught on a number CYP IAPT and new workforce development programmes at UCL/AFNCCF and in the Midlands, and has lectured across a number of D.Clin.Psy programmes.
- Research Experience
Duncan has particular expertise in the use of feedback tools and clinical outcome measures, whole system transformation and evidence-informed practice. He is the developer of the goals-based outcomes (GBO) tool (see www.goals-in-therapy.com) widely used across the UK, Europe, Australia and North America.
He has extensive knowledge and experience of research, and consultation. He is clinical consultant on a number of domestic and international research projects. Above all he is interested in the effective application of complex psychological ideas in ways that make then accessible and acceptable to enrich people’s lives.
- Clinical Experience
Duncan, is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist with nearly 30-years experience working in psychological health across: the NHS, youth justice, higher education, and third sectors including the charitable sector and elite sport.
He worked as a clinical psychologist for 20 years in Hertfordshire CAMHS, across inpatient and community settings, becoming clinical lead, before moving to the AFNCCF. He was the Clinical Lead for the CYP IAPT programme across London and the South East of England and Chair of the British Psychological Society’s Division of Clinical Psychology’s Faculty for Children, Young People and their Families. His current clinical interest focuses on improving mental health in Sport and currently works clinically across a number of elite sports environments.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Law D (2019) The Goal-Based Outcome (GBO) Tool: Guidance Notes. MindMonkey Associates
- Cooper M & Law D (eds) (2018) Working with goals in psychotherapy & counselling Oxford University Press
- Wolpert, M., Dalzell, K., Ullman, R., Garland, L., Cortina, M., Hayes, D., ... & Law, D. (2018). Strategies not accompanied by a mental health professional to address anxiety and depression in children and young people: a scoping review of range and a systematic review of effectiveness. The Lancet Psychiatry.
- Law.D, Martin, K. Jeremy, G. Feltham, A. & Ingram, B. (2018) Everyday Participation: rethinking involvement and participation in children and young people's mental health settings The Child & Family Clinical Psychology Review 6 (Autumn):40-45
- Faulconbridge, J. Hunt, K. Fatimilehin, I. Laffan, A., & Law, D. (2018) Risk factors, protective factors and resilience: how can we nurture psychological wellbeing in children and young people In Faulconbridge, J. Hunt, K. Fatimilehin, I. Laffan, A., (eds) Improving the psychological wellbeing of children and young people: effective prevention and early intervention across health social care and education. Jessica Kingsley: London
- Jacob, J., De Francesco, D., Deighton, J., Law, D., Wolpert, M., & Edbrooke-Childs, J. (2017). Goal formulation and tracking in child mental health settings: when is it more likely and is it associated with satisfaction with care? European child & adolescent psychiatry, 26(7), 759-770.
- Faulconbridge, J., Gravestock, F., Laffan, A., Law, D., O’Curry, S., Taylor, K., Taylor, J. & Zlotowitz, S. (2016). What good could look like in integrated psychological services for children, young people and their families: Preliminary guidance and examples of practice, Child & Family Clinical Psychology Review, No 4
For full list of publications visit https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Duncan_Law