About this course
The course will focus on working with children age 5-12 who have experienced long term relational trauma, physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect and the impact of parental conflict and domestic violence. Work with children with both internalizing and externalizing responses to trauma will be discussed. This course will provide further opportunities to learn about, and practice the implementation and integration of the MBT-C approach.
- Who is this course suitable for
This course is for those who work clinically with children who have experienced trauma. The course is not an introduction to MBT-C, and will assume that participants already have a basic knowledge of MBT work with children and/or families. For those seeking an introductory course about MBT with children, click here.
- Aims of course
- A better understanding of the problems with mentalizing in traumatized children
- Skills how to manage the arousal level and the pre-mentalizing modes with traumatised children in MBT-C
- Skill building on how to therapeutically help children and caregivers to create a narrative with pre-verbal children or those presenting with selective mutism
- Exploration of how to use the phase of ending with children who are traumatized at a very young age, to work through themes like grief, mourning and existential loneliness.
- Techniques of dyadic and triadic sessions with caregivers and the child around issues of behavioural and emotional response to trauma.
For those seeking an introductory course about MBT with children, see here.
- System requirements for online training
The online platform Zoom will be used to deliver this training. Prior to booking on, please ensure you meet the system requirements so you're able to join this training.
Before the training, please test your equipment is working by going to Zoom.us/test and follow the instructions.
To hear about any new dates scheduled for this training, please subscribe to our mailing list
Mentalization-Based Treatment for Families (MBT-F)
- 6 half days
Mentalization-Based Treatment: Basic Training
- 1 month programme (3 days live training and 21 hours self-guided content - online course)
Mentalization-Based Treatment for Children (MBT-C): a time limited approach, London
- 3 days