Education for Wellbeing
Are you a mainstream secondary school?
Do you want a chance to try out an innovative mental health approach?
Would you like £1000 for your school and to lead the way in cutting-edge research?
The Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families is recruiting mainstream secondary schools to take part in England's largest research trial of school-based mental health interventions, commissioned by the Department for Education.
Our Education for Wellbeing programme will work with over 370 schools to evaluate pioneering ways of supporting the mental wellbeing of pupils.
There are two research projects in our programme:
- AWARE project for Year 9, implementing and evaluating:
- Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) - a mental health promotion programme delivered by external professionals over five consecutive weeks.
- The Mental Health and High Schools Curriculum Guide (The Guide) - a mental health literacy curriculum delivered by teachers through six lessons lasting 45 – 60 mins each.
- INSPIRE project for Years 7 and 8, implementing and evaluating:
- Mindfulness - delivered for 5 minutes on a daily basis by trained school staff.
- Strategies for Safety and Wellbeing - eight consecutive weekly lessons each lasting 45 minutes delivered by trained school staff.
- Relaxation - delivered for 5 minutes on a daily basis by trained school staff.
Participating schools will be randomly allocated to deliver one of the above interventions or to continue with their usual practice. The first wave of the project is already underway and schools start delivery in January 2019.
We are now recruiting mainstream secondary schools to take part in the second wave of our research, delivering the interventions next academic year (2019-2020). Schools allocated to an intervention delivered by school staff will receive free training from the Centre. All participating schools will be remunerated £1000.
Interested in taking part? Complete an Expression of Interest form!
The deadline for Expressions of Interest is 5th April 2019. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. If you have any questions or would like to find out more, please email EducationForWellbeing@annafreud.org.