About this course
The new MBT Basic Training one-month course is made up of 18 hours of live, instructor-led content (including breaks) and 21 hours of self-guided content - attendees will be required to do various tasks before, in-between and after the live, instructor-led sessions.
Participants will be added to our online learning platform (Blackboard) on the 4th November 2022.
Booking will close for our upcoming course on the 4th November 2022.
Mentalizing refers to our ability to attend to mental states in ourselves and in others as we attempt to understand our own actions and those of others on the basis of intentional mental states. A focus on this very human activity as a therapeutic intervention forms the core of mentalization based treatment (MBT). MBT was initially developed for the treatment of borderline personality disorder (BPD) although it is now being used on a wide range of disorders. Training programmes are now available for MBT for antisocial personality disorder, MBT for families, and MBT for adolescents.
Mentalization Based Treatment is an evidence based psychological therapy for borderline personality disorder (BPD). The training is organised in a stepped system from basic training to practitioner level and then through to supervisor to training levels.
There are currently three components to training in Mentalization Based Treatment (MBT):
- Basic training course,
- Supervision with an MBT Practitioner,
- Certificate course for practitioner level.
More details can be found here: Mentalization Based Treatment Training Programme
- Who is this course suitable for
This workshop is suitable for mental health and other professionals who are interested in the treatment of personality disorder.
Applicants for the basic entry training course must meet the following pre-entry criteria:
- They should be qualified health professionals such as Mental Health Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Clinical/Counselling Psychologists, Psychiatrists and Social Workers, Psychotherapists.
- They will have undertaken a course of study, for example the KUF for personality disorder, and have a good working knowledge of theories underpinning the development of personality. This will cover psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioural, biological, systemic and social approaches.
- They will have a minimum of 1 years’ experience working therapeutically with people with personality disorder in teams or in individual or group work.
- They will have undertaken supervised practice and be committed to professional standards and practice within an ethical framework.
- It is desirable that they have personal experience of psychotherapy or counselling.
It is a requirement that attendees of this training must complete the "Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatment with Adults (MBT Adult) – An Introduction" online course before the training start date. You will be given access to the this training one month before the training start date. Please note access to the training will be granted once full payment is received. The Online training consists of a series of short videos that span four hours and cover the theory of MBT and so it is essential that you watch these prior to the training. If you do not complete these, you will not have the theoretical knowledge to get the most out of the training you are scheduled to attend. The content of the Online training will not be covered in the in-person training. If, for any reason, you require access to the Online training sooner than one month prior to the training start date, please let us know and we will be able to grant you access. Please note that training places must be paid for in order to be granted access to the Online training.
- Booking process
The places are sold online only, we don't take bookings over the phone.
Past sales would indicate that they go extremely quickly (within a few minutes) so please bear this in mind.
When booking is enabled on this page we will send an e-mail to those on our mailing list with a notification that booking is open. Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- System requirements for online training
The online platform Zoom will be used to deliver this training. Prior to booking on, please ensure you meet the system requirements so you're able to join this training.
Before the training, please test your equipment is working by going to Zoom.us/test and follow the instructions.
The self-directed learning is hosted on Blackboard. Please review if your browser supports this system prior to booking on.
30th November 2022 - 2nd December 2022
- Online – live and self-directed learning (Joining instructions will be sent to the email address you booked on with at least one working day before the event)
- The live day sessions will run on 30th November, 1st and 2nd December 2022
- 1 month programme (3 days live training and 21 hours self-guided content - online course)
Training fee includes access to: Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatment with Adults (MBT Adult) – An Introduction
Training fee for those who have already completed: Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatment with Adults (MBT Adult) – An Introduction
The Anna Freud Centre brings together those with a stake in the mental health of children and young people. Please subscribe to our mailing list to receive a bi-monthly e-newsletter and occasional updates about the Centre's training and events.
Mentalization-Based Treatment for Adolescents (MBT-A)
Mentalization-Based Treatment for Families (MBT-F)
- 6 half days
Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatment with Adults (MBT Adult): An Introduction
- Online Training Programme - 4 hours learning content
Mentalizing and Mentalization Based Treatments with Children, Young People and Families (MBT CYP) – An Introduction
- Online Training Programme - 6 hours learning content
Participant, March 2019
Excellent course - Dr Bateman is an outstanding communicator and managed very well to engage the audience in the activities.
Participant, March 2019
Professor Bateman is extremely charismatic and a fantastic course presenter which really holds you attention and makes the subject matter really interesting. He makes it look easy, which of course it isn't. I have learnt quite a lot and will practice, and try to develop, my MBT techniques and skills.
Participant, July 2017
Both facilitators did an excellent job! The course was delivered in a detailed, clear and understandable way with little jargon. The facilitators seem to work with patients in a very 'human' and authentic way, which is refreshing to see. They also have a great sense of humour, which resulted in a lively presentation. I will recommend this workshop.